Apply for: EEA Permanent Residence | Residence Card | Registration Certificate

Our services:

Free assessments

General advice

Application checking service

Preparation & submission of applications















If you require assistance with any kind of EEA Residence Documentation (see below) then we can help you in the following ways:-

Single consultation | Application check | Full preparation + legal representation

The following information remains valid until 31 December 2020, when the transitional arrangements will end following the UK's departure from the EU. Please also refer to our Brexit page.

EEA Permanent Residence (PR)

Before applying for PR, applicants should consider whether it is more appropriate to apply for Settled Status under the EU Settlement Scheme.

An EEA national automatically acquires Permanent Residence after they have lived in the UK in accordance with the EEA Regulations for a certain period of time – usually 5 years. Eligible family members and extended family members can also acquire PR.

PR can be acquired through a combination of any of the following: employment (‘a worker’), self-employment, student, or as a self-sufficient person. Subject to certain conditions, periods spent as a ‘jobseeker’ can also count towards PR. It is not usually* a legal requirement to apply for Permanent Residence documentation, but it can be very helpful to do so for the following reasons:-

*A PR document is a legal requirement if an EEA national wishes to naturalise as a British citizen (unless they have acquired settled status in another way).

To prove immigration status to an employer or to an educational establishment.

To prove lawful residence in the United Kingdom.

An EEA national will be issued with a ‘Document Certifying Permanent Residence’. A non-EEA national family member will be issued with a ‘Permanent Residence Card’.

EEA Registration Certificates & Residence Cards

Following the UK's departure from the EU it will now be more appropriate to apply for Pre-Settled Status under the EU Settlement Scheme.

Some examples of European EEA matters that we deal with:

  • The rights and responsibilities of EEA and Swiss nationals and their family members; how such people can come to the UK to live, study, work and settle).
  • Extended family members, including ‘durable relationships’ (unmarried partners).
  • Residence documents for European citizens (registration certificates).
  • EEA family permits and residence cards (for non-EEA family members of EEA nationals).
  • Bulgarian and Romanian nationals.
  • Permanent and retained rights of residence.
  • 'Chen' cases: primary carer or parent or relative of an EEA national self-sufficient child. Note that these cases are now considered under the EEA Regulations (not under the UK immigration rules).
  • 'Zambrano' cases: this ECJ judgment, now incorporated into the EEA Regulations, creates a right to reside & work for the sole carer of a dependent British citizen in certain circumstances.
  • The ‘right to reside’ and ‘habitual residence’ tests.
  • Family members of United Kingdom nationals (‘Surinder Singh’ cases) - now incorporated into the EEA Regulations.

European EEA residence documents explained:

Registration certificate

A registration certificate is issued to an EEA national as confirmation of the holder’s right of residence in the UK under European law. It is not mandatory to hold a registration certificate; an EEA national does not need one to enter, live in or work in the UK.

Residence card

A residence card is issued to the non-EEA family member of an EEA national as confirmation of the holder’s right of residence in the UK under European law.

EEA family permit

An EEA family permit is issued from outside of the UK to the non-EEA family member of an EEA national, and is used by the holder to enter the UK.

Direct Immigration Solutions | Norwich | Norfolk | NR10 3SQ | East Anglia | UK | tel: 01603 710 470 | web:

Home | Contact us | Immigration rules | UK Visa British citizenship | EU nationals | Privacy